- 2 Tablespoons Organic Butter Olive Oil
- 1-1/2 lbs. top round or flank steak, cut diagonally in thin slices about 1/4 inch thick and 3-4 inches wide
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 jar garlic dill pickles, sliced
- Mustard, salt, pepper, cornstarch
- 1-2 cups water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- sour cream (optional)
- Season beef slices with salt and freshly ground pepper. Spread the mustard on top of each slice of meat in a thin layer.
- Place bacon, pickle and onion slices on one end of each slice of meat. Roll up slices, tucking the ends in and securing with kitchen twine, skewers, or toothpicks.
- Heat Organic Butter Olive Oil in skillet. Brown rouladen well on all sides. Don't crowd the pieces or they won't brown nicely. Add more Organic Butter Olive Oil as needed.
- Once all the rouladen bundles are browned, add 1-2 cups of hot water and the beef bouillon cube, stirring up browned bits. Return the rouladen and juices to skillet, bring to a simmer, cover and cook for about 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove about 1/4 cup of juice from the meat, mix with a little cornstarch, mixing until you have a smooth paste. Add a bit more juice to the paste and stir until smooth, then add the liquidy cornstarch mixture to the rouladen pan, whisking until the gravy is smooth and slightly thickened.
- Add sour cream to the gravy, if desired.
- Remove string, skewers or toothpicks from the meat, lift carefully onto the plates and serve the rouladen with the gravy.