- 3 oz. chiles pasillas
- 4 tbsp white onion, diced
- 1 ½ tsp Manzanillo Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ½ cup (1 bottle) of dark beer (ex. Negro Modelo)
- 2 cloves of roasted garlic
- 3 blackened Roma tomatoes
- ½ tsp toast ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 oz grated Queso Anejo, feta or dry-aged goat cheese
- Toast the chilies and rehydrate them in 2 cups of warm water. Drain the chilies, reserving ½ cup of the water. Devein the chiles and transfer to a blender. If it is not bitter add the reserved chile water; otherwise add ½ cup plain water.
- Sauté the onion in the olive oil for 5 minutes over medium heat, then add the chiles.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, cumin, oregano, salt, and beer and blend until pureed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Serve with beef or lamb, yields about 3 cups.