- Makes 1 double crust pie or 4 mini double crust pies
- 2-1/4 cups flour (1/2 all purpose flour, 1/2 pastry flour)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Organic Butter Olive Oil (chilled solid and cubed)
- 1/2 cup chilled, cubed organic shortening
- 6-10 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs such as rosemary or Italian seasonings added to flour
- Mix flour and salt. Pulse Organic Butter Olive Oil and shortening into flour until coarse. Add cold water a few drops at a time until dough leaves side of bowl. Divide dough in half and cover with plastic wrap. Flatten and chill at least an hour.
- When thoroughly chilled, remove and roll out one half of dough to fit baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 5-7 minutes for a blind bake. May use dried beans to keep pastry flat during the baking.
- Remove from oven and place favorite meat or vegetable filling into the dough-lined plate. Roll out second crust. Make slits or cut out decorative cuts with small cookie cutters. Place over filling, trim edges and form a seal around the edge of pie plate.
- Brush top lightly with milk or Organic Butter Olive Oil and sprinkle with additional herbs for added delicious aroma and flavor. Bake prepared pie for 45 minutes at 400 degrees if full-sized. If using mini pies, bake for 25 minutes.