- 1-1/2 cups potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup beets, thinly sliced
- 4 cups stock (vegetable, beef, or chicken) or water
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Butter Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 3 cups red cabbage, roughly chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1cup tomato puree
- Sour cream for topping. Rye bread to serve on the side.
- Pour stock into a large saucepan, heat over medium heat. Add thinly sliced potatoes and beets and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10-14 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove and reserve the cooked potatoes and beets. Leave the stock in the pan and remove from heat.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onions, caraway seeds and salt in the Organic Butter Olive Oil for 3-5 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add onion mixture, celery, carrots and cabbage to the stock, bring to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add reserved cooked potatoes and beets, stirring to combine. Season with salt, pepper, and dill.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar, honey, and tomato puree. Add to simmering soup, stirring well to combine. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- If desired, puree the soup with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Serve hot or cold. Top with sour cream, extra dill, cilantro or chopped tomatoes.