- 3-4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more, if desired)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 10 pasilla chiles (the kind used for chile rellenos)
- 2 Tablespoons Green Chili Baklouti Olive Oil (important to use this particular olive oil)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Add the chiles and broth (3 cups for a thicker soup, 4 cups for a thinner soup) to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook until vegetables are very soft and the flavors have blended, about 15 minutes.
- Pour the Baklouti Green Chili Olive Oil into a medium-sized pot, add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring until onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for another minute or so until the mixture is very fragrant.
- Roast and peel chiles using either the stove-top-method or the broiler method. After peeling, put chiles in a large bowl to collect any juices.
- Blend mixture in a food processor until very smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Return mixture to pot and stir in cream. Gently heat until mixture is heated through. Add more salt to taste, if desired.
- Serve with sourdough bread or warm tortillas.