marinate 180 plus prep 15 minutes
total of about 120 minutes
- 1 lb. chicken feet
- 2 quarts cooking oil
- 2 quarts water
- 1 oz. fresh ginger
- 3 pieces star anise
- 2 oz. Chinese parsley roots
- 2 ounces maltose sugar
- 2 Tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sake
- 1 oz. chopped chili pepper plus 1Tablespoon Spicy Serrano Honey Vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 Tablespoon black bean sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Roasted Japanese Sesame Oil
- Wash the chicken feet and chop off any toenails.
- Heat the oil. Mix the chicken feet with the maltose sugar. Deep fry in the oil until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Remove the feet and drain.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the ginger, star anise and parsley roots. Add the chicken feet and bring the mixture to a boil again. Reduce the heat and simmer for 90 minutes, then drain.
- Combine marinade ingredients and marinate the feet for at least 3 hours, but for maximum flavor, marinate for 24 hours.
- Before serving, place the feet and the marinade in a bowl and steam in bamboo steamer for 15 minutes.