- 2 Tablespoons Frantoio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 7 cups chopped and seeded tomatoes (approx. 3 lbs.)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons molasses
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Heat the Frantoio EVOO in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to pan and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, cooking for 1 minute more. Add tomato and cook for 4 minutes.
- Stir in sugar and next 6 ingredients (through cloves) and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until it thickens and is reduced to about 2-1/2 cups (about 1 hours and 5 minutes). Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper.