- 8 oz. thick-cut bacon, diced
- 3 lbs. beef chuck or round roast, cut into small cubes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups good red wine, divided
- 1/2 cup Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBLSP tomato paste
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup low sodium chicken or beef broth, more if necessary
- 1 lb. white button mushrooms, sliced
- For Serving: chopped parsley, baguette
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook the diced bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon to a paper towel. Pour off all the bacon fat from the pan. Add 1 TBLSP of Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil to the pan.
- Pat the meat cubes with a paper towel and when dry, season with salt and pepper.
- With the skillet on medium-high heat, sear the meat on all sides for 2-3 minutes, working in small batches and keeping the meat to a single layer each time. Don't crowd the meat.
- Transfer the meat to a slow cooker. Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup red wine, loosening all the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Pour the wine and meat bits over the seared meat. Do the same for each batch until all the meat is seared.
- After the searing, add another 1 TBLSP of Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Add the diced onions and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and cook until soft and browned, about 6-8 minutes. Add the carrots and celery and cook until softened, about 4 minutes more. Add the minced garlic and tomato paste and cook for an additional minute. Transfer the vegetable mixture to the slow cooker with the meat.
- Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel, add 1 TBLSP more of the Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil and heat over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid, the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are golden in color, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a small clean bowl and set aside.
- Stir the beef and vegetables together and season with 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir the sprigs of thyme and bay leaf into the mixture. Pour the stock and the remaining wine over the beef and vegetables. Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. When finished the beef should fall apart easily with a fork.
- When the meat is cooked, stir in the browned bacon and cooked mushrooms. Cook on HIGH for about 10 minutes more until the mushrooms are warm.
- Dish into bowls, sprinkle with parsley, and serve with crusty bread.