- 1 lb. medium beets, washed thoroughly
- 1/2 cup Whole Fruit Blood Orange Fused Olive Oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups French le Puy lentils or green lentils
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Rub beets with 3 Tablespoons Whole Fruit Blood Orange Fused Olive Oil, salt, and pepper in an 8-inch square baking dish and cover with foil. Cook 60-90 minutes until tender. Let cool, then peel beets and finely chop; set aside.
- Bring lentils, bay leaves, and 4 cups of water to a boil in a 4-quart saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, until tender but not mushy, about 30 minutes. Drain, discarding liquid and bay leaves.
- Toast mustard seeds in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until they begin to pop, 1-2 minutes. Add juice; boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and add lavender; cook until juice is reduced to about 1/2 cup, 30-35 minutes. Strain into a large bowl, discarding lavender and seeds. Whisk in honey and remaining oil. Add beets, lentils, red onion, salt and pepper; toss to combine.