- 2 Tablespoons Ultra Hojiblanca, Manzanillo or Ultra Picual Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium peeled sweet potato, cut into small cubes (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 medium onions, diced (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 cups uncooked red lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup baby carrots, cut crosswise into thick rounds
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or more, as needed
- 6 cups salt-free vegetable broth, more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced (optional)
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Once the oil simmers, add the sweet potato, onions, lentils, carrots, quinoa, garlic and shallot, stirring to coat. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and pepper.
- Stir in the broth. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and stir in the curry powder, cumin, turmeric, ginger and allspice until incorporated. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 35 minutes.
- Taste, and add some or all of the remaining salt as needed.
- Serve warm, topped with the avocado, if desired.