- ¼ cup Harissa Infused Olive Oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped fresh collard greens or kale, tough ribs removed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice (½ to 1 medium lemon), to taste
- Warm the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
- Once the oil is shimmering, add the chopped onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, curry powder, and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring for about 30 seconds. Pour in the drained diced tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the lentils, broth, and water. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
- Transfer 2 cups of soup to a blender and purée until smooth. Pour the puréed soup back into the pot. (Or, use an immersion blender to blend until the satisfactory consistency is achieved!)
- Add chopped greens and stir. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Taste and season with more salt, pepper, lemon juice until the flavors really sing. Serve hot. Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator, or freeze and defrost again any time!